Spartan East Side Promise
The Spartan East Side Promise provides a pathway to admission to SJSU by clearly specifying admission requirements and actively sharing this information with students and families at the 13 high schools in the East Side Union High School District.
The Spartan East Side Promise is a partnership created by San José State University (SJSU) and East Side Union High School District (ESUHSD), with support from the East Side Alliance, a network that includes ESUHSD, seven elementary feeder school districts (Alum Rock, Berryessa, Evergreen, Franklin-McKinley, Mt. Pleasant, Oak Grove, Orchard), and the Silicon Valley Education Foundation.
By identifying the specific criteria for guaranteed SJSU admission as part of the Spartan East Side Promise, ESUHSD students will know what is expected early in their academic careers and can follow the steps needed to ensure college admission at SJSU.
The goals of the Spartan East Side Promise are:
- To increase the number of ESUHSD students applying to and being admitted to college.
- To contribute to a college-going culture within the ESUHSD based on a shared commitment to diversity and equity.
- To encourage ESUHSD students to apply and be admitted to SJSU.
Conditions for admission eligibility through the Spartan East Side Promise
Students graduating from an East Side Union high school will qualify for guaranteed admission to SJSU if the following conditions are met:
- Be a high school graduate from an East Side Union high school
- Apply to SJSU by November 30th
- Successfully complete all A-G college preparatory courses with grades of C- or better
- Take the SAT or ACT test and submit those official test scores to SJSU
- Require no developmental coursework as determined by Math/English placement test scores
- Meet the Eligibility Index(EI) to the intended major (2900 or higher) or the meet the minimum EI of 3300 (SAT) or 790 (ACT) to be guaranteed admission to Undeclared. All EIs are subject to verification of the final high school transcript.
- Meet all SJSU application procedures and deadlines